Welcome to Ms. Ellis’
American Literature class!
Use the following calendar to keep track of your current and future assignments. Once you click on a specific date, you will see the activities that are assigned for that specific day. For instance, the homework that is placed on April 9, is the specific assignment I would like you to complete the evening of April 9. If you are confused by the calendar below, please email me prior to the specified due date.
Collaborative Blog Projects
Check the list for the Collaborative Blog Project:
Directions: Please follow these directions carefully.
Need Inspiration? Check out some of your peers’ work in the “Our Year” section. Click on the hyperlinked blogs for each period.
- PSAT= Oct. 19
- Midterms= Dec. 19-21
Major Units in American Literature
1) the frontier, 2) the value of the individual, 3) American exceptionalism, 4) the role of morality, and 5) the context of class.
- “What is an American” by Jean de Crevecoeur
- The Crucible by Arthur Miller
- Transcendentalist essays by Ralph Waldo Emerson and Henry David Thoreau
- Transcendentalist essays by Ralph Waldo Emerson and Henry David Thoreau cont.
- Nathaniel Hawthorn’s “Young Goodman Brown”
- Edgar Allan Poe’s “The Fall of the House of Usher”
- Poetry Unit (Walt Whitman, Emily Dickinson, Sylvia Plath, Anne Sexton, Nikki Giovanni, Wallace Stevens)
- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
- Langston Hughes & Harlem Renaissance Writing
- The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
- excerpts from Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi
- Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
- The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
- The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon
- The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz